Can we take a moment for how delicious and creamy chowder is! Chowder is a traditional French soup or stew usually served with seafood and loaded with butter and cream. In our version we use hearty root vegetables, coconut butter and vegan fish sauce to create a delectable, creamy, rich bowl of heaven.
You can get fish sauce from most Asian grocers. But beware- only use the smallest amount of the vegan fish sauce as this stuff is potent!
We like to take our time cooking chowder, as the flavours, which are released, are simple amazing and worth the simmer time. You could mix this up by adding mushrooms or even vegan prawns which are found at Asian grocers and made from potato starch.
If you give it a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #Shane&Adele on Instagram.
- 1tbs coconut oil
- 1 brown onion (diced)
- 4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium celeriac (peeled and chopped)
- 1 sweet potato (peeled and chopped)
- 4 small yellow potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1 turmeric root (peeled and sliced)
- Boiled filtered water- enough to cover
- 1 tbs. white miso paste
- 2 tbs. tamari
- 1/8 tsp. vegan fish sauce
- 2 tbs. coconut butter
- 1 tin of coconut cream
- Cooked or fresh mushrooms of choice for garnish
- Pre heat a large saucepan on medium heat
- Melt coconut oil in a saucepan
- Lightly sauté onions garlic and salt and pepper 2-3 minutes
- Add vegetables, turmeric, miso, tamari, vegan fish sauce and cover with water
- Bring to the boil and then reduce heat to a low simmer
- Cook for 45-60minutes until vegetables are tender
- Add coconut butter and coconut cream, cook through for 3 minutes
- Blitz into a smooth texture with a stick blender
- Garnish with fresh or cooked mushrooms and fresh herbs.