This is the ultimate cold weather soup- Its so versatile, nutritious and really hearty. The milled rice and almonds create a thickening agent so the soup is beautiful and creamy. Sometimes I will even add less liquid to make it more like a stew, however its beautiful thinned out as a soup. You can do variations on this soup using different herbs, spices and vegetables but this is my go to combo. I’d also recommend a squirt of sriracha if you like a little kick.
Brown rice is high in protein and magnesium which makes this dish perfect if you have been working out. Its less refined than the white varieties but does take a little longer to cook, its definitely worth the wait though as the nutty flavour it gives to dishes is beautiful.
This was the first meal I ever made in our Thermomix food processor (see settings in brackets) but I have also made the cooking instructions friendly for everyone.
Serve it up with some crusty sourdough bread and enjoy!
If you give it a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #Shane&Adele on Instagram.
- 50g of raw brown rice
- 50g raw almonds
- 1 brown onion (diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (or 1tbsp of minced garlic)
- 2 celery stalks (leaves removed)
- 2 carrots
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 500G organic tofu, cubed and drained
- 2 tbsp. of tamari
- Juice of one lemon
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. vegetable stock paste (or to taste)
- 800ml filtered water
- 100g raw brown rice
- 100g frozen peas
- 100g frozen corn
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- Grind 50g brown rice and almonds in food processor until it resembles a meal consistency (30sec/speed 10) transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Place onion, garlic cloves, celery and carrot in processor and chop until a fine diced constancy is achieved (5 sec/speed 5).
- Preheat a large saucepan on medium heat and then add coconut oil. Once melted add diced onion, garlic, carrot, celery, tamari, lemon juice, salt and pepper simmer for about 3 mins stirring regularly (3mins/varooma/reverse/soft speed)
- To the saucepan add water, vegetable stock paste, brown rice and tofu and allow to simmer on low/medium heat for 40mins, stirring regularly. (40 min/100c/reverse/soft speed)
- Once rice is soft, add parsley, peas and corn, cook another 5mins (5 mins/100C/reverse/speed)
- Adjust seasonings if needed, and serve.
If you would prefer more of soup consistency, add an extra 500ml of water