Strawberries and basil are two of my favorite ingredients and together they create a beautiful balance of flavors. This is a take on the Italian bruschetta toasts. I love this as a breakfast dish but it’s also great for entertaining in the warmer months.
I like to make my own cashew crème cheese (see recipe below) but you could easily use a soy version if you are allergic to nuts or replace the cashews for sunflower seeds.
If you give it a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #Shane&Adele on Instagram.
- 2 pieces of bread of your choice
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 8 strawberries
- 1 radish (sliced)
- 3 sprigs of basil
- 2 tbsp. cashew crème cheese
CASHEW CRÈME CHEESE
- 1 cup of cashews (preferably activated for 8hrs)
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- Juice 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ¾ cup of water
- Make cashew crème cheese by adding all ingredients into a high-powered blender and blitz on max until smooth and creamy (60sec, speed 10)
- For an extra creamy version- soak cashews overnight or even for a few hours, they will blend better and be creamier.
- Pre heat a fry pan on medium heat. Melt coconut oil and cook bread until golden brown.
- Slice strawberries and roll and slice basil.
- On toast spread a medium layer of cashew crème cheese, top with strawberries and basil
- Cashew crème cheese recipe will make enough for a small container. You can use this through salads, as cheese on main meals or even as a dipping sauce for raw vegetable sticks. WARNING- it is highly addictive.