This used to be my family’s treat. Whenever we had a family get together this was the go to dessert, particularly in winter or the cooler months.
Date provide a really delicious richness to this pudding. When you mix it with the coconut cream it tastes like a naughty caramel cream sauce my Grandma always used to make. They are also high in dietary fibre, magnesium, calcium and vitamin A and C.
If you give it a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #Shane&Adele on Instagram.
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 30g coconut oil, melted
- 2/3 cup soy milk
- 5 medjool dates, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ can of coconut cream
- 4 medjool dates
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Lightly grease an 8 cup-capacity oven-proof dish.
- Make pudding: Sift flour and cinnamon into a dish. Add sugar. Make a well in centre. Add coconut oil and soy milk. Stir to combine. Fold in dates. Spread mixture into prepared dish- you want to place majority of mixture in the middle with sauce on the edges. Place dish on a baking tray.
- Make sauce: combine dates, coconut cream and salt in processor until smooth (30sec, speed 8) and cook through (5mins, varooma, speed 4) or on stove top on high heat, stirring regularly
- Pour sauce over pudding and top with some sliced dates. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until top has set. Stand for 5 minutes. Serve with soy ice-cream.