I first made this as a total experiment. After we had visited an Italian restaurant, I was eyeing off the Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni. Knowing that this wouldn’t be vegan, I thought I’d try my hand creating it at home and see how it goes. Well I was so blown away at how easy, tasty and delicious this dish is. Plus its also really impressive- it looks beautiful and tastes incredible.
The tofu and cashews create a beautiful thick ricotta like crème and the spinach and basil take it to a whole new level. This is also my go to tomato sauce. You could serve this just with pasta and it would be a knockout too.
This is the perfect dinner party dish because it’s easy to prepare in advance and then all you need to do is pop it in the oven while you socialize.
If you give it a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #Shane&Adele on Instagram.
For the Tomato Sauce:
- 600g fresh tomatoes
- ½ red onion (halved)
- ½ zucchini (quartered)
- 100g tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. crushed garlic
- 2 handful basil
- A few sprigs of parsley
- Salt and pepper to season
For the Cannelloni:
- 1 packet of cannelloni (we used gluten free)
- 1 ½ cups of activated cashews
- 2 cups of spinach, washed
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic
- 500g organic tofu, cut into chunks
- 1 handful of basil
- Soak cashews overnight (advised but not vital) this makes them smooth and creamy when blended.
- Make tomato sauce by adding all ingredients into a high powered blender and process until smooth (20 sec/speed 10). Pour into the baking tray and reserve 1/3 for the top.
- Make the ricotta by adding all cannelloni ingredients (except the shells) into high powered blender and process on high until very smooth (60sec/speed 10) then transfer into a piping bag.
- Using the piping bag fill the cannelloni shells. You could also use a ziplock bag or strong plastic bag and cut a hole in tip if you don’t have a pipping bag.
- Line cannelloni in the baking dish and top with the remaining tomato sauce.