I used to be a little frightened of cous cous. My fear was totally irrational, I attempted to cook it once and it turned our really claggy because I didn’t fluff it enough. The key to delicious fluffy cous cous is to work it with a fork to aerate and cook evenly. The result is a beautiful light grain that works amazing as a salad base or a side.
The asparagus and figs work lovely giving it a delicious sweet flavour and the Moroccan seasoning adds some spices to make it a flavourful dish.
This all comes together really quickly and is a healthy light meal. Its also soy, gluten, sugar, nut and dairy free so the perfect dish to bring along to a BBQ or pot luck.
If you give it a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #Shane&Adele on Instagram.
- 2 bunches of asparagus
- 1 tsp. Moroccan seasoning
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 250g fine cous cous
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper
- ½ pomegranate (jems only)
- 4 figs (sliced)
- ½ red onion
- 1 Lebanese cucumber (seeds removed)
- ¼ cup fresh mint
- 1 cup of cashews (soaked 8 hrs)
4 cloves of Australian garlic
- juice 1 lemon
- ½ cup of water
- 1 tbsp, savoury yeast flakes
- 1 tbps. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Pre heat a large fry pan with coconut oil on medium heat.
- Add asparagus, Moroccan seasoning, salt and pepper and toss for 5mins until golden and allow to cool.
- Boil a kettle and weigh cous cous and transfer to a large heatproof mixing bowl. Cover couscous with boiling water and then cover with a tea towel for 2 mins. Remove tea towel and continue to toss cous cous with a fork for a further 3mins.
- To cous cous add olive oil, maple, lemon, salt and pepper
- Slice figs and prepare pomegranate. Add to cous cous and asparagus and toss to combine.
- Prepare Raita dressing by dicing cucumber, red onion and mint (5sec, speed 5) transfer to a separate bowl.
- In a high powered blender add cashews, garlic, water, lemon juice, savory yeast, salt and pepper and process on high until smooth (60sec, speed 10)
- Add cucumber, red onion and mint to cashew mix and mix on medium speed (15sec, speed 4)
- Serve cous cous with raita on top.