This French toast recipe is the perfect base to any variation you want to spin on the traditional French toast. Personally we like to keep it simple- some maple syrup, fresh berries, banana and a hint of cinnamon.
Shane has figured out a way to make it even taste “eggy” like the ones his mum used to make for him when he was a little boy. It’s all to do with mixing the soy and apple cider vinegar to make buttermilk.
The batter is very basic so it only takes a few minutes to throw it all together and whip up this dreamy vegan French toast. This is the perfect wholesome treat for when you want a sweet treat either for breakfast or as a dessert.
If you give it a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #Shane&Adele on Instagram.
- 6 slices of bread
- 1 cup of soy milk
- 1 tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbs. plain flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbs. ground flax seeds
- 1 tbs. nuttelex or coconut oil
- In a mixing bowl add soy milk and apple sider vinegar, whisk quickly.
- Add maple syrup, vanilla extract, plain flour, ground flax, cinnamon and whisk again.
- Pour batter into a large flat dish.
- Submerge bread and coat both sides.
- Heat a large fry pan on medium heat, melt nuttelex and cook toast until golden and crunchy.
- Serve with fresh fruit, maple syrup, cinnamon and icing sugar (optional).