This is a delicious, creamy vegan Caesar salad that will wow any crowd! Everyone who’s tried it goes absolutely nuts over it, and it’s my most popular salad recipe. To take it to the next level, I garnish the salad with a generous amount of crunchy cheesy chickpeas, Italian spiced croutons, smoky coconut bacon, creamy tangy dressing and fresh cos lettuce to create the ultimate vegan Caesar salad. The dressing recipe easily doubles for a larger group and it’ll keep in the fridge in a sealed container for a few days so you can make it in advance.
A Caesar salad is one of those salads that is not like eating a salad- its hearty, delicious, decadent and super creamy.
I like to add chickpeas in mine for extra protein and when you sprinkle them with nooch (nutritional yeast) it makes for a crunchy cheesy ball of delight. Nutritional yeast is deactivated yeast and is different to traditional yeast. It is a significant source of some B-complex vitamins so contains trace amounts of several other vitamins and minerals. Sometimes nutritional yeast is fortified with Vitamin B12. Vegans and Paleo folk go gaga over the stuff as it’s commonly used as an ingredient in recipes to add a delicious creamy flavour.
If you give it a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #Shane&Adele on Instagram.
- ½ loaf of stale sourdough bread
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. Italian herbs
- salt and pepper
- 800g of chickpeas- 2 tins (rinsed and drained)
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 ½ cups of shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 3 tbsp. BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cups of cos lettuce
- 1 cup activated cashews
- 2 tbsp. pitted kalamata olives
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 5 cloves of Australian garlic
- 1 tsp. dijion mustard
- 1 tsp. seeded mustard
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley leaves
- ½ cup of filtered water
- Pre heat over to 180’c fan forced.
- Make the dressing by adding cashew, olives, lemon, garlic Dijon mustard, parsley and water into a high-powered blender. Blend on high until smooth (60sec, speed 10) add seeded mustard, using a low setting blend to combine (10sec, speed 3) set aside in a glass jar.
- In a baking dish add shredded coconut, maple syrup, BBQ sauce, smoked paprika and olive oil allow to marinade for a few minutes while you prepare chickpeas and croutons.
- On a large flat roasting tray- toss roasted chickpeas, nutritional yeast, onion powder, salt and pepper and then cook until golden and crispy. This takes about 15mins. Set aside to cool.
- Cut bread into bite sized chunks. Spread bread out on a flat baking tray and drizzle with olive oil, Italian herbs, salt and pepper. Roast the bread for 10mins or until cooked and crunchy. Set aside to cool.
- Lay out coconut bacon on a lined flat roasting tray and bake. Be very careful with the coconut bacon as they can burn easily. Turn them after 5mins and then bake for a further 2mins. Set aside to cool.
- Slice cos lettuce.
- In a large salad bowl toss to combine cos, coconut bacon, cheesy chickpeas, croutons and dressing.